Bestiary can be accessed at any time by opening it from the respective game menu, and, in later installments, also by hovering over the question mark (?) icon which appears in the battle screen right next to every foe.
Epic Battle Fantasy 2
See also: List of Foes in Epic Battle Fantasy 2
It the first game featuring bestiary a total of 27 pages can be added onto it, which can be filled by using the Scanbot summon available to Natalie on different foes as they are encountered in the game. Due to this being its first appearance in the series, the Bestiary is somewhat unrefined; the foes' pictures are little more than hasty scribbles, and players must manually scroll through the entries to find a specific file.
An in-game medal Beast Master can be awarded by scanning all 27 foes and completing the bestiary.
See also: List of Foes in Epic Battle Fantasy 3
There are a total of 75 creatures in EBF3´s Bestiary, which are added to the compendium by being scanned by Lance. Compared to the previous game, the Bestiary has been substantially improved, with a full-screen profile for each foe that shows their elemental weaknesses, resistances, and status resistances, along with general information on their combat capabilities.
A total of three medals can be awarded in-game by filling the Bestiary:
- Beast Tamer — Scan 25 different foes.
- Beast Hunter — Scan 50 different foes.
- Beast Scholar — Complete the Bestiary by scanning all 75 foes.
The fourth installment of the series features the largest and most comprehensive Bestiary yet, with 124 entries at game's release, increasing up to 147 entries after the Battle Mountain update. The entries themselves have been updated into a more professional form, with a standard background and highly detailed information about each foe, including:
- Elemental, status and debuff weaknesses and resistances with exact percentages.
- Which items they may drop on defeat, including the percent chance of them dropping each item.
A total of two medals can be awarded in-game by filling the Bestiary:
- Zoology Student — Scan a foe and begin filling in the bestiary.
- Zoology Expert — Scan all foes and complete the bestiary.
- In EBF4, Bestiary info is tied to a specific save file and has to be collected again when starting a new game, while in EBF2 and 3 it is saved into a separate file and can be accessed to from all saves.
- In earlier version of EBF4 there was an empty slot between Evil Worm and Drill Bot, which was probably a bug caused by the Glitch occupying this slot even though it could not be scanned and its data could not be added into the bestiary.