- "Don't worry, it's solar powered! Minimal radiation and damage to the environment, but still lethal. I'm quite proud of that!"
- ―Lance, Epic Battle Fantasy 3
The Ion Cannon (named simply Ion prior to EBF4) is a recurring Limit Break appearing in Epic Battle Fantasy series. It was introduced in Epic Battle Fantasy 2 as one of Natalie's summons, became one of Lance's Limit Breaks in Epic Battle Fantasy 3, and a shared Limit Break among Matt and Lance in Epic Battle Fantasy 4.
The cannon is mounted on an artificial satellite orbiting around the planet, and it can be remotely called to strike the battlefield at any time. It was presumably created by Lance as part of his plans to take over the world.
The animation consists of the camera zooming out so the player can see the whole planet. A giant cannon appears, along with four batteries. The batteries then charge the cannon with red (EBF2&3) or yellow (EBF4) bolts of energy. Once the weapon is successfully powered up, the batteries are retracted and the cannon deploys before firing down a giant beam of the same colour, destroying the ground of the battlefield in the process.
Epic Battle Fantasy 2
The Ion Cannon is obtained after defeating the Guardian boss. It costs 200 MP and deals massive non-elemental damage to all enemies, with some recoil damage to the players. The Max Radiation medal is awarded for using Ion Cannon for the first time.
One Skill Bonus is available to improve the Ion Cannon:
- Ions! - Boosts Orbital Ion Cannon's damage by 30%
Epic Battle Fantasy 3
It is one of Lance's Limit Breaks. Ion no longer damages the user's team, and now debuffs targets' Attack stat.
Epic Battle Fantasy 4
Ion Cannon returns as a Special Limit Break available to Lance and Matt. It now deals Thunder-elemental instead of non-elemental damage, and may Stun targets instead of debuffing Attack. To reflect the element change, the laser and the batteries are coloured yellow.
The Praetorian and Dark Lance can also cast Ion Cannon. Dark Lance uses Ion Cannon as a Limit Break like the players, while the Praetorian telegraphs its use by gaining the Charge status. The "Foe Ion Cannon" aims in the other direction.
|Limit Break! Targets all foes. May stun targets.|
|Level||Power||Status Chance||Status Strength||MP||AP Cost|
|Note: Forces the players to jump off the screen, curing Freeze.|
- The intro animation (lens flare) contains the same animation as Flare, except with a different background.
- In EBF3, Lance says Ion Cannon deals "minimal radiation and damage to environment", which doesn't fit with the name of the EBF2 medal, "Max Radiation". This could mean Lance has upgraded it between the games to be less radioactive and to focus its power on the targets instead of harming both the players and the foes, giving a lore reason for the gameplay change.
- That said given that it generates any radiation suggests that the Ion Cannon is powered through nuclear fission or possibly fusion.