- "Will take big bio damage every turn. Anyone on the field can be randomly infected between turns."
- ―Virus' unfull hover-over tip, Epic Battle Fantasy 5
Virus is a negative status effect introduced in Epic Battle Fantasy 5. It is associated with the Bio element, and its icon is a purple blob lined with a faint green glow. It deals Bio-elemental magical damage to the victim, and can spread from one character to another regardless of what side they are on. Unlike most status conditions (but similar to Poison from the first three EBF games), Virus stacks don't tick down at the end of each turn.
Epic Battle Fantasy 5
Virus deals magical Bio-elemental damage that is twice as strong as Poison's (ie,
MaxHP * Hit2HP * 0.0012 * Virus tier) at the end of the afflicted side's turn.
- If any foe or player (including backup players) is inflicted with Virus at the end of their side's turn, each active player/foe has a chance of getting inflicted with 1x Virus; the spread chances are:
- If a foe is inflicted with Virus
- Each foe has a 30% chance of getting inflicted.
- Each player has a 10% chance of getting inflicted.
- If the foe has a catch score equal or lower than 4 (ie, most bosses and mini-bosses), both spread chances are tripled, becoming 90% chance for foes and 30% chance for players to get inflicted.
- If a player is inflicted with Virus
- Each foe has a 20% chance of getting inflicted.
- Each player has a 40% chance of getting inflicted.
- If a foe is inflicted with Virus
- Since Virus' damage is Bio-elemental, it'll deal 1.5x damage if the target also has Tired at the end of the turn, and unlike regular attacks, this won't consume Tired stacks. By the same token, since Virus deals magic damage, its damage will be doubled by Invisible and nullified by Enchanted.
- Virus can score a critical hit (for 1.5x damage), but only with help of the Stagger status effect, this won't consume Stagger stacks.
- Virus' damage has the second lowest priority amongst damaging statuses, with only Doom taking place after it.
- Like Poison, Virus will not cause any damage when the victim is Frozen, but can still spread from a frozen player/foe.
- If the last foe in a wave dies to Virus, when the next wave of foes comes in, the player will have the first turn.
- As with most other damaging statuses, Virus' "attack" has permanent 999.99 Accuracy, not affected by anything. Thus, there is a chance to dodge it if victim's Evade is above that value.
- Like most other damaging statuses, Virus' damage is reduced in Easy and Zero difficulties (down to 70% and 35% respectively) for both players and foes.
Sources of Virus
Player Equipment that inflicts Virus:
- Beholding Eye (Natalie's Staff) — 100% chance, 3x strength at max level.
- Biohazard Blaster (Lance's Gun) — 100% chance, 3x strength at max level.
- Tentacle (Flair) — 100% chance, 1x strength at max level.
Note: there are no Player skills that inflict virus.
Foe skills that can inflict Virus:
- Blood Bat's Vampiric bite — 10% (25% on Hard or Epic) chance, 2x strength.
- Laurelin and Telperion's Fly Bomb —10% chance, 2x strength, 7 hits.
- Telperion's Spiders — 50% chance, 2x strength, hits all players.
- Lancelot's Poison Gas — 200% chance, 5x (9x on Hard or Epic) strength, hits all players.
- Annabelle's Throw Spiders — 100% chance, 3x (5x on Hard or Epic) strength, 3 hits.
Hard or epic difficulty only:
- THE MAW's Blood Spurt — 100% chance, 5x strength, hits all players.
- GLOB's Bushy Vines — 1x strength, inflicted on itself.
- Putrid Worm's Bite — 66% chance, 3x strength.
- Bear's Dump — 15% chance, 1x strength
Foes that enter the battlefield inflicted with virus:
- Zombie Hand — 20% chance, 3x strength.
For players, Virus can be cured with:
- Cleanse (Natalie's skill).
- Medipack/Health Strike (Lance's skill).
- Purify (shared skill) — targets all players.
- Garlic (consumable item).
- 7th Heaven (Natalie's Limit Break) — targets all players.
- Having the victim die (except if with Auto-Revive).
- Winning/fleeing from the battle.
- Druid Staff (Natalie's staff) — 100% at Max. level.
- Fenrir's Jaw (Anna's bow) — 100% at Max. level.
- Alchemist's Bow (Anna's bow) — 100% at Max. level.
- Blood Bank (NoLegs toy) — 100% at Max. level.
- Space Helmet (Male hat) — 100% at Max. level.
- Gas Mask (Male hat) — 100% at Max. level.
- Explorer's Jacket (Male armor) — 50% at Max. level.
- Priest's Tunic (Male armor) — 100% at Max. level.
- Leafy Hairclip (Female hat) — 100% at Max. level.
- Nurse Uniform (Female armor) — 100% at Max. level.
- Cactus Dress (Female armor) — 100% at Max. level.
- Magical Skirt (Female armor) — 100% at Max. level.
- Surgical Mask (Flair) — 100% at Max. level.
- Nano Machines (Flair) — 50% at Max. level.